Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Frost/Nixon" screenplay available for download at Universal Awards



It's 4:46 a.m.. I've just spent the remainder of the night and most of the early morning reading the screenplay to "Frost/Nixon", the adaptation of the hit play by Peter Morgan. It is to be directed by Ron Howard and produced by Brian Grazer (A Beautiful Mind), Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner (Atonement).

In the early months of Oscar season, I tend to single out one film in particular that I believe will be my favorite for that year and a serious awards contender. In 2005, I picked "Brokeback Mountain". In 2006, it was "Babel", and previously in 2007, "Atonement". Ironically, all of my picks ended up taking home the Best Picture (Drama) prize at the Golden Globes, but none succeeded in winning Best Picture at the Oscars. I would never be so bold as to add "Frost/Nixon" to this strange mix of irony so early in the game. However, I can say that it has now become my most anticipated film of 2008.

The screenplay is excellent, as all Peter Morgan screenplays tend to be. The pacing is pitch perfect and the dialogue is exhilarating. I'm eager to see how Ron Howard handles Morgan's crisp and thrilling material. Frank Langella and Michael Sheen are obviously excellent choices as Frost and Nixon. They reprise their roles from the original play.

Langella took home a Tony award for his portrayal of Richard Nixon. I wouldn't be surprised if he picked up an Oscar come February (or March, depending on when ABC decides to air the live broadcast), as well.

I won't attempt to give away any spoilers; I'll let you read on on your own.

You can read the screenplay here. There, I've provided you with two links already.

Enjoy. You're in for what I predict to be one of the best films of the year.

No comments: